Immigration Sponsor Licence Applications

You might need a sponsor licence to employ someone from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to work for you in the UK.

Tier 2

Tier 2 is for skilled workers who you want to employ long-term or permanently. It is split into General, Intra-Company Transfer, Minister of Religion and Sportsperson categories.

Tier 5

Tier 5 is for skilled workers you want to employ on a temporary basis. This is split into Creative and Sporting, Charity Worker, Religious Worker, Government Authorised Exchange and International Agreement.

You would need to appoint people within your business to manage the sponsorship process when you apply for a licence. If the sponsor licence is granted you would be required to use the sponsorship management system (SMS).

The roles are:

  • Authorising Officer – a senior and competent person responsible for the actions of staff and representatives who use the SMS;
  • Key Contact – your main point of contact with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI);
  • Level 1 user – responsible for all day-to-day management of your licence using the SMS; and
  • Level 2 user– once you have your licence. This is an optional SMS user with more restricted access than a level 1 user.

These roles can be filled by the same person or different people.

At Vestra Lawyers, we have the knowledge and expertise to help you with these types of applications. Contact us today to speak to our specialist solicitors by calling 0121 728 5999 / 0203 929 5999 or alternatively you can email us at

immigration Sponsor Licence Applications