Please note during the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak we continue being open for business throughout the year and welcome the public to have free telephone consultations with us without the need to travel in to see us.

Immigration Representative of an Overseas Business visa

Coming from outside the EEA or Switzerland you may be eligible to come to the UK as sole representative of an overseas business planning to set up a UK branch or a subsidiary in the UK which is wholly owned by the parent business overseas. Employees of overseas newspapers, news agencies or broadcasters may also be posted to the UK on a long-term assignment under this category.

As sole representative, you may enter the UK for an initial period of three years before extending your leave for another two years. Once in the UK for five years you may become eligible for indefinite leave to remain.

You would be able to work for your employer full-time but not for any other business and not in self-employment. You also cannot switch into this visa category whilst in the UK under any other category therefore it must initially be applied for as entry clearance.

Sole representative visas are intended for those businesses whose headquarters and main place of business remain outside the UK where the sole representative themselves must have been recruited and employed initially by the business. The applicant must also be considered knowledgeable and experienced in that specific sector, be senior within the business, have authority to make decisions on behalf of that business although not be a majority shareholder and also the intention must be to establish the first branch of that business within the UK.

The category is also suitable for those journalists being posted on long-term assignments in the UK and dependants may also be added to your application.

At Vestra Lawyers, we have the knowledge and expertise to help you with these types of applications. Contact us today to speak to our specialist solicitors by calling 0121 728 5999 / 0203 929 5999 or alternatively you can email us at


immigration Representative of an Overseas Business visa