Please note during the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak we continue being open for business throughout the year and welcome the public to have free telephone consultations with us without the need to travel in to see us.

Immigration Fiancé/Fiancée Visas/Proposed Civil Partner and Spouse Visas

If you have found your perfect partner who is not settled in the UK, you may become aware of the vast Immigration Rules pertaining to partner visas and the difficulty in some cases of the processes involved when it comes to your spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner joining you or remaining with you in the UK.

British and EEA nationals (including Switzerland) and those with indefinite leave to remain or permanent residence have the right to reside in the UK and can obtain permission to register a civil partnership or enter marriage here.

For those who are not British or European nationals or who do not have settlement in the UK they could consider applying under provisions for spouses, civil partners or unmarried partners (where cohabiting in a genuine and subsisting relationship for at least two years). If granted this would allow the person permission to reside and work in the UK. The initial leave would be for two and a half years needing to be extended for a further two and a half years and thereafter allowing the person to potentially becoming eligible for indefinite leave to remain in the UK on successful completion of five years’ lawful residence in the category.

A number of important requirements must be demonstrated to have been met in being granted leave to remain or leave to enter the UK under one of these categories including a financial requirement, accommodation requirement and English language requirement.

If you have any children then they will need to be considered as dependents under your application if they themselves are not British nationals or otherwise already have permission to be in the UK.

At Vestra Lawyers, we have the knowledge and expertise in immigration spouse, civil partnership and unmarried partner issues to help you with these types of applications. Contact us today to speak to our specialist solicitors by calling 0121 728 5999 / 0203 929 5999 or alternatively you can email us at

immigration fiance proposed civil partner