Please note during the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak we continue being open for business throughout the year and welcome the public to have free telephone consultations with us without the need to travel in to see us.

Immigration British Citizenship, British Registration and Right of Abode

If you have a right of abode it means you are allowed to live or work in the UK without any immigration restrictions. All British citizens automatically have right of abode in the UK. Some Commonwealth citizens may also have right of abode.

You can prove you have right of abode if you have a British passport describing you as a British citizen or British subject with right of abode. Otherwise you need to apply for a certificate of entitlement.

There are 6 different types of British nationality. These are:

  • British citizenship;
  • British overseas territories citizen;
  • British overseas citizen;
  • British subject;
  • British national (overseas); and
  • British protected person.

You may automatically be a British citizen, depending on:

  • where you were born;
  • when you were born; and
  • your parents’ circumstances.

 If you are not a British citizen you could become a British citizen by way of naturalisation or registration.

You can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation if you are 18 years or over. You are required to have indefinite leave to remain and in certain circumstances held it for 12 months. You are also required to reside in the UK for a certain duration, again this is depending on your circumstances. You also have to meet the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements and be of good character.

You may be eligible to register as a British citizen if you:

  • you have another form of British nationality;
  • you were born before 1stJanuary 1983 to a British mother;
  • you were born to a British father, even if he was not married to your mother
  • you were born in the UK on or after 1st January 1983;
  • you’re under 18 and don’t fit into the other categories;
  • you have a connection with Gibraltar or Hong Kong; and
  • you are stateless.

As well as belonging to one of these groups there are other eligibility rules for each category. At Vestra Lawyers, we can assist you with applications to become British. Contact us today to speak to our specialist solicitors by calling 0121 728 5999 / 0203 929 5999 or alternatively you can email us at

Immigration British citizenship